The goals of the Eight National HIV Strategy are to:
- Virtually eliminate HIV transmission in Australia within the life of this Strategy
- Sustain the virtual elimination of HIV transmission among people who inject drugs, among sex workers and from mother to child
- Reduce mortality and morbidity related to HIV
- Eliminate the negative impact of stigma, discrimination, and legal and human rights issues on people’s health
- Minimise the personal and social impact of HIV.
Please find the link to the full HIV Strategy document here.
Targets – HIV
The eight targets in the National HIV Strategy provide a specific focus for the efforts made towards achieving the goals of this Strategy:
1. Increase the proportion of people with HIV (in all priority populations) who are diagnosed to 95%
2. Increase the proportion of people diagnosed with HIV on treatment to 95%
3. Increase the proportion of those on treatment with an undetectable viral load to 95%
4. Reduce the incidence of HIV transmissions in men who have sex with men and other priority populations
5. Sustain the virtual elimination of HIV among sex workers, among people who inject drugs and HIV transmission from mother to child through the maintenance of effective prevention programs
6. Increase the proportion of eligible people who are on PrEP, in combination with STI prevention and testing, to 75%
7. 75% of people with HIV report good quality of life
8. Reduce by 75% the reported experience of stigma among people with HIV, and expression of stigma, in relation to HIV status.
Indicators to monitor progress towards achieving the goals' targets are presented in the interactive dashboard below. Please note that data for Indicators 1i, 5a and 6b are currently in development and will be presented on the dashboard as they become available.
These tables are interactive, allowing you to filter and present the data in detail.
Choose the category/populations of interest using the drop down menus.
Hover the mouse over the charts to reveal further details.
These graphics are best viewed in full screen by clicking the box icon to the bottom-right of the tables.
You can export a PDF version of the selected view by selecting the download icon under the dashboard.
Click here for the executive summary: Tracking the Progress 2022: National HIV Strategy